Ataahua Lodge, a magical expression of Italian elegance coupled with contemporary design
The Lodge and garden are specifically designed to enable the elegance of a garden celebration or wedding or the intimacy of a marque event. As your hosts we can implore its beauty and perfection as we sourced and designed the Lodge as our private residence and the venue for our own wedding.
Indulge in a luxurious New Zealand residence and venue at this high end Italian Lodge which employs classic principles in contemporary expression. Sixteenth century Italian architect, Andrea Palladio, created the formulas for symmetry, perspective and balance which are demonstrated here. He would be impressed to know his signature is referenced in a country not even discovered in his lifetime. While the inspiration may be Italian, the name Ataahau Lodge, is taken from the Maori world beautiful, and beautiful it is.
From its presence and position in the landscape, to the art and furniture that adorn both the indoor and outdoor areas, we have sort to celebrate form, especially the beauty and elegance of the female form.
The Lodge offers plenty of outdoor space, situated on 2 acres right above the fourteenth tee of the Western Bay Links View Golf Course, with sea views beyond. With impeccable landscaping, tennis court, spa and a large swimming pool and an award winning outdoor sound system has been installed throughout the garden. Al Fresco patio with large outdoor table and couches to indulge in an afternoon wine and cheeses, or entertain by the outdoor open fireplace (integrated wood fireplace, smoker and pizza oven) to make pizzas or melt marshmallows.
The Lodge welcomes you through stunning intricate handmade wrought iron gates and timber doors through to a double stud height foyer then opening up to a vaulted dining and lounge room with grand opulent lighting. The two dining rooms are equally as elegant punctuated with stunning antique Italian tapestries, contemporary art and opulent architectural chandeliers, with an open handcrafted fireplace in the lounge and a closed fireplace in the formal dining. The kitchen is a culinary delight including a butlers kitchen, fully equipped including a commercial grade coffee machine.
The Lodge’s interior excludes Italian essence, elegance and style punctuated by contemporary luxury and style. Each room is meticulously furnished throughout with a mixture of beautiful Italian antiques and contemporary Italian furniture including hand crafted pieces from the piles of Venice.
The Lodge’s spacious areas are divided over three stories plus a guest house and gym. There are five bedrooms in the main house, and one bedroom in the guest house. Three rooms have en-suite bathrooms and are stocked with toiletries. In the main house, you’ll find four bedrooms with king beds, one bedroom with two queen beds, two single beds and the guest house with a king bed. Adjacent to the guest house bedroom is a fully equipped gym and yoga room with infrared heaters. Rooms feature the latest wall hung flat screen TV’s and full WIFI access for guest’s optimum comfort. Underground you will find an extensive wine cellar, bar and movie room.
From the Lodge a range of activites can be arranged; private tennis lessons, gym sessions, massages, golf, White Island direct helicopter trip and others.
Ataahua Lodge is located 25kms minutes from Tauranga Airport.
Subject to your needs, we can can offer a full service range of bespoke wedding services. We can also recommend some of the professionals we have personally used to assist you with all your needs including wedding and event planning, flowers, catering, lighting, sound and even the best in fireworks artisans. Please enquire as to our bespoke wedding packages and pricing that will be tailored to your needs.
The Grounds – A Place to Celebrate and Entertain
The grounds to the Lodge are meticulously landscaped including over 50 mature palm trees, tulip trees some 2000 plus hydrangeas. Some key features of our grounds include:
- The two acres of landscaped gardens incorporating thousands of plants each planted as a labour of love and most planted as seedlings. The garden is a regular feature as a garden of interest for garden tour groups. Our gardens are maintained by our full time team of Lodge Managers.
- The Lodge and Garden is punctuated throughout by wrought iron gates, fencing, garden bridal-walk and wedding arches all handmade by a local artisan team who have spent thousands of hours designing, forging and installing these contemporary expressions of design.
- The Lodge and gardens offer the opportunity to have all your wedding photos taken on site, allowing you and your partner to relax and enjoy the celebration with fanily
- Our home and garden features custom pieces by a local master Maori Sculptor and Carver, Joe Kemp of Te Haa Gallery.In Joe’s words; “My name is Joe Kemp, married to Sherie and we have three sons. We have lived in Lake Rotoma in the Bay of Plenty for the last fifteen years. I have been into art since I can remember only finding my sculpting ability eight years ago. My tribal connections are Ngai Tahu, Ngapuhi and Te Arawa (Ngati Makino). I am self-taught and find it’s a great privelage to be able to create with these mediums and art forms. I enjoy carving human form, especially females. I feel doing human form connects me with my ancestral history which brings a whole new meaning and purpose to the finished art work. I use wood as my main medium and enjoy the secrets and surprises that our native timbers have with them. I sense a connection with Tane Mahuta (the life force of the tree) as I’m working with the wood, so it is quite a special feeling. I also carve a variety of stone, where again there is a connection with Papatuanuku (Earth Mother). I look to bring out the Wairua (essence) in each piece, starting from where the material originated and using any special features and grains in the stone and wood. Thanks for taking the time to stop and look at my work.”
- The Lodge houses a beautiful selection of contemporary New Zealand art and sculptures, in addition to a beautiful selection of contemporary Italian art and furniture and Italian antiques.
- Integrated in ground speaker system in the alfresco, garden and tennis court areas including 2 x in ground sub woofers which has won an award as the best outdoor sound system in New Zealand.
- Lap pool of 25 meters, gas heated.
- Tiled spa pool, gas heated.
- 3 x architectural Italian garden pergolas and seating including a beautiful plastered and hinuera stone outdoor fire place and pizza oven with a table seating over 10 x persons.
- Alfresco outdoor seating suite and separately outdoor table seating over 10 x persons.
- Tennis court which includes a basket ball hoop and pergola seating to enjoy the speaker system.
We can provide local or off-shore catering options for any events or in-house catering requirements. One of the top Chef’s we would recommend would be Clare Ullrich from eClare. We have used her personally both in Hawaii and in Sydney for events.
Clare Ullrich is a professional Chef from Melbourne, Australia. She completed her apprenticeship in cooking in 1992 with distinction honours.
After travelling throughout Europe and enjoying many amazing cuisines, she worked at the prestigious Waldorf-Astoria Hotel in the fine dining restaurant, Peacock Alley where she was influenced by the simple use of flavours.
A varied culinary career in five star hotels, as well as a well known winery resort in the Pyrenees, Australia has developed Chef Clare’s repertoire in the food scene. She believes the Mediterranean cuisine is her main influence, for the fresh and unadulterated flavours, as well as the health benefits that it provides.
Luxury Experiential New Zealand Travel Experiences
If as part of your special day you are looking for a high-end experiential New Zealand travel experience for you, your family or guests, or simply to enjoy a honeymoon to remember, we highly recommend you contact Ahipara Luxury Travel. Ahipara specialise in luxury tourism (6, 5 and 4+ star) focused on connecting you with New Zealand through special people, places and activities. Truly special, authentic New Zealand holidays and vacations that you will remember for many years.
If you are looking for a wedding planner, we would highly recommend the team we personally use at Dinamics.
In their own words; “Dinamics is an event management company specialising in weddings, conference services, incentives and retreats, team building, and theming and production.
Queenstown is our home, we are passionate about living, working and showcasing this special part of the world to our incentive and conference clients. We love organising events that have our clients wanting to return to Queenstown time and time again.
When we are not working in Queenstown we can be found across the country or overseas managing events for our varied and exciting clients. 2017 has seen us manage a large conference in Adelaide, and incentive programmes in Tokyo and Vietnam. Our calendar for 2018 is already looking exciting with a incentive programmes in Canada, San Francisco and Germany.
Our team has a combined experience of over 70 years in the events industry managing programmes in more than 10 countries. With our expertise, resources, extensive knowledge and enthusiasm we create unique programmes and events that not only achieve your business objectives but deliver beyond your expectations.
Relationships with our clients are paramount. Listening and understanding your requirements is key to allowing us to develop a programme that works for you. From the initial concept to the end product, we design each stage to the finest of details and we work closely with both you and our suppliers to ensure the optimum outcome is accomplished every time.
The Dinamics team is your support to ensure you can achieve your goals without the worry of what is happening in the background. Whether you need us to organise every last aspect of your programme or use us to complement your resources, our professional team is the key to making your event a total success.”
As your Hosts, we have personally used Dinamics to plan and execute our own wedding celebration at Ataahau Lodge, and would highly recommend Diana and Katie and the team at Dinamics. The team made both our wedding journey and wedding days, an event of pure beauty, elegance and above all, stress free.
“The wonderful house, the extensive grounds and the proximity to the golf course ensured that all guests at the wedding were able to share this special day with you.”
Gary and Madeline